It is a well-known fact that international students eyeing a place in one of the reputed US universities for MBA need to have some work experience for selection. Unlike the Indian Business schools which accept fresher into the MBA fold, it is a common practice in US universities to look for exposure in the corporate world before pursuing MBA in USA. Prudence demands that you find out the reality before embarking on the long journey to the US shores.
MBA in USA for students without Experience:
Contrary to the general notion, there are indeed some of the best universities offering MBA program to students who lack any experience and are fresh out of the college. It goes without saying that these B-Schools in USA recommend some work experience as a criterion. But are far from rigid. Accordingly, let us check out a few options.
- Harvard Business School (HBS)
- Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB)
- Sloan School of Management (MIT)
- Chicago Booth School of Business.
- Columbia Business School
- Stern School of Business (NYU)
- Haas School of Business
- Anderson School of Management
- Yale School of Management
The list is not exhaustive, and there are host of others in the USA who do select candidates without experience for their flagship MBA program. It is to be interestingly observed that the named B-Schools are the top-ranked schools not only in the USA but also globally.
Reasons behind B-Schools Accepting Fresh Applicants:
The Ad Com has spread the notion that they are not in favour of packing the campuses with greenhorns. International students are faced with a lack of clarity as this factor is not unambiguously spelt out. But the fact remains that there are ample logical reasons to allow fresher to take up MBA in USA.
- Lose Talent: It is unfair to eliminate talented individuals from pursuing an MBA for mere lack of experience and thus, deprive someone with true potential.
- Competition: The world of MBA education is fast-changing, and the B-Schools understand it better than others. Every school wants the best talent. No business school will want to lose out on the international talent pool by rigidly adhering to it in the selection process,
- Commercial: There are a host of commercial reasons to allow fresh applicants into one of the reputed business schools.
- Independence: Every B-School decides on the parameters for selection. Based on this premise, there are ample top-notch Business Schools in USA who have charted their road map for selection. It is a fact that many ranked B-Schools across the world do not restrict MBA students due to absence of some working experience.
Ways to improve personal profile for MBA in USA without work experience:
The Ad Com looks for individuals who display ample scholarship, innovation and dynamism in their application forms. Thus to be a show-stealer, you need to consider the following.
- Academic: You have a remarkable GPA in your past academic pursuits, including Graduation.
- Entrance Score: Your high score in the GMAT is sure to attract the attention of the Ad Com.
- Leadership Qualities: It is an important parameter which your application must show in unambiguous terms. What the Ad Com looks for is not managerial quality but potential leaders. A lot has to go into your application in general and the MBA essay, in particular, showcasing your abilities in true light.
Aspiring MBA students from India need not despair due to lack of work experience. If not the GMAT, CAT gets you into a reputed B-School in the country which does not require any work experience for selection. But if you are impatient, US Universities and top-ranked Business schools are equally amenable to select a fresher. Alternatively, you can try out the MIM program where work experience is not a criterion at all.
Also browse top MBA colleges in USA fees, ranking, and exams at