FSSAI Registration: Importance and Answering FAQs
Food and water are some of the basic needs of every individual and are of utmost importance for sustenance. Humans gain strength, nutrition, and nourishment from them, and thus these are essentials to lead a healthy life. However, it is also very important to ensure that the food and water are safe for consumption for the people and free of any kind of adulteration. That is why the Food Safety and Standards Act came into force in 2006, and an FSSAI registration was made mandatory for businesses dealing with food products that are meant for consumption. It falls under the duties of the government to make sure that no business is trying to mix cheap or toxic materials with products meant for consumption. It might turn out to be dangerous for innocent citizens and pose a threat to their life. This is where the role of FSSAI comes in.
Introduced in the legislation in 2006, the Food Safety Standards Act states that any person who desires to commence or carry out a food business should essentially apply for a grant of a license to a Designated Officer “in such manner containing such particular and fees” as the regulations might specify. The FSSAI makes sure that proper safety measures and quality checks are undertaken for food products before they go out to the market. This ensures the curbing of adulterated food products and the selling of sub-standard consumption goods in the market.
Any business or enterprise relating to food products has to necessarily possess an FSSAI License or registration in order to sell their products in the market as per the Food Safety and Standard Acts, 2006. Food is a very delicate and sensitive subject as it is directly related to the health and safety of the consumer, and thus such strong measures are taken. That is why before entering the food business, entrepreneurs should make sure that the products are not harmful in any way and lives up to the standards. One needs to register for an FSSAI license after which verification is conducted, and when the food license is obtained, the registration is successful.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Is it a must to make an FSSAI registration?
Every individual or business who is involved in the process of manufacturing, food processing, storage, distribution, and sale of the products has to mandatorily acquire an FSSAI registration or license.
- What is the difference between FSSAI Registration and License?
The difference between the two mainly depends on the size of a business and the annual turnover of the enterprise.
- Who is eligible for an FSSAI Registration?
Any food business that has an annual turnover of less than Rupees twelve lakhs is eligible for an FSSAI registration. This is meant for any petty food business or petty food operator under small-scale businesses.
- What does it take to be eligible for an FSSAI license?
A business with an annual turnover of more than Rupees twelve lakhs is eligible for a License.
- Is water also considered under FSSAI guidelines?
After April 2021, manufacturers of packaged drinking water and mineral water have to mandatorily take a BIS certification in order to obtain license or registration from FSSAI authorities.
- Who governs over the FSSAI Registration?
The Food Safety and Standards Authority, legislated in the year 2006 under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, is responsible for granting the FSSAI Registration and Licenses. Not only does it govern such activities as approving registration and licenses for food businesses but also provides rules, regulations, and guidelines that the companies must comply with.
- What happens when enterprises don’t comply with the given regulations?
When the businesses or enterprises fail to comply with the regulations and guidelines provided by the FSSAI, then it might lead to civil liability. A Food Safety Officer conducts inspection and verification of the processes of preparation of food along with water supply arrangements, and accordingly gives a report of Compliance ( C ), Partial Compliance (PC), Non-Compliance (NC), or Not applicable.
The inspection can lead to an improvement notice being sent to the enterprise in case any dissatisfaction is observed as per Section 32 of the FSSAI Act, 2006. Further dissatisfaction and no improvement initiative taken by the enterprise can lead to their registration or license being canceled.
Importance of FSSAI Registration
- FSSAI registration helps immensely in building business goodwill among the customers. Obtaining an FSSAI license increases the reliability and credibility of the company. This comes to stand as one of the qualities of your company, and you can use it as part of your marketing strategy to build trust and reliability among your customers. Not just customers, it will also come in handy when you are pitching to investors. Therefore, a food license gives an added advantage.
- An FSSAI registration will be beneficial for your food company with regards to social as well as legal benefits, opportunities for business expansion, and building customer confidence and reliability. Oftentimes, customers come across products that are of sub-standard quality and therefore lose trust in them. But your FSSAI license speaks for itself that your product is safe to consume and of high quality.
- Before the license is acquired, your product has to go through some verification processes that will ascertain the product quality. Possessing an FSSAI license is proof enough that the quality of your food is top-notch, and there is absolutely no doubt in the mind of customers.
- The verification process not only gives assurance to the customers but even before that, assures the enterprise of the quality of the product they have made. If there is room for improvement or something they can make better, then that too is revealed through the verification process.
Ultimately, entrepreneurs should make sure that the food products that their enterprise is manufacturing should essentially be safe for customer consumption. The products should in no way be harmful or of sub-standard quality. Acquiring an FSSAI registration can be very advantageous for their business not just to ensure a quality check for themselves, but also for the customers to know that the products are safe to use and the company is reliable. After all, building trust and reliance with customers from the very beginning is the foundation of a huge and flourishing business.